This egg salad recipe makes a high protein lunch. It’s easy to make in advance, making it perfect for meal prep! Add your favorite crunchy mix-ins or enjoy it as is. Enjoy it as a sandwich, on a tortilla or inside a pita!
Egg salad is fantastic to serve for lunch or in appetizers. It stays fresh in the refrigerator for a few days. As a result, you can make a large batch and eat it for lunch for the rest of the week.
It’s quick to make and can be used in a variety of ways. Of course, my favorite way to eat it is in an egg salad sandwich.
How do you make the perfect egg salad sandwich?
The key to making the perfect egg salad sandwich is to use perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs.
You can make a large batch of them using an Instant Pot! For instructions, refer to my post, perfect Instant Pot hard boiled eggs. Or, you can boil them on the stove top. Follow Yellow Bliss Road’s instructions to make stove top hard boiled eggs.
The eggs should be completely cooked, but not overcooked. The egg yolk should be firm, slightly moist and yellow in color. If you notice a gray color, they are overdone.
Once you have perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs, just combine the egg salad ingredients in a bowl. Then it’s time to build your egg salad sandwich!
How do you peel eggs easily?
This is a great tip for peeling eggs without much effort. After cooking them, immediately cool the eggs to stop the cooking process. To do this, place them into a bowl filled with ice water (the technical term for this is an “ice water bath”.
When the eggs are cool, crack them all the way around the shell. Then, peel them under the ice water or cold running tap water and the shells will slip right off.
Also, eggs that have been in the refrigerator for a few days are easier to peel than eggs that have just been cooked. If you have the time, let the eggs sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours before you make the egg salad.
What’s the best way to cut eggs for egg salad?
Here are a few simple ways to make the job of slicing eggs easy.
- Cool the eggs. Hard boiled eggs are easier to cut when they are cold. If possible, refrigerate them after cooking before you attempt to dice them.
- Cooling rack – If you have a cooling rack with a grid pattern (wires go both directions), you can use it to cut perfectly diced hard boiled eggs! Just place a peeled egg on the baking rack over a bowl and press down with the palm of your hand. The baking rack will dice the egg for you.
- Knife – You can also use a knife to slice the egg. To keep it from sticking, wet the knife blade before cutting.
- Egg slicer – The tried and true method. Kitchen gadgets make things so easy!
We prefer big chunks so I use a knife. I keep this recipe simple and then add mix-ins that my family enjoys.
Consider adding some of these other mix-ins:
- fresh dill
Egg salad recipe ingredients
Some people prefer to add crunchy texture and additional flavor to their egg salad. The ingredients in this recipe are basic, so that the flavor of the eggs shines.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Yellow mustard
- Lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
What can I use instead of mayo?
If you don’t care for the heavy taste of mayonnaise, make your egg salad sandwich using half Greek yogurt and half mayo. If you use all Greek yogurt instead of mayo, you will want to use a little more salt, pepper and mustard.
Making the egg salad recipe is super simple!
- After you hard boil the eggs, slice them up (see our tips above for easy ways to do this) and place them into a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Use it to make an egg salad sandwich, or serve it the way you like it!
The typical way to eat egg salad is on a sandwich. But there are other options as well. This is a high protein dish. If you want something besides bread to compliment the eggs, here are some ideas:
- Stuffed inside of tomatoes or mini bell peppers
- In a salad
- Flour tortilla wraps
- Lettuce wraps
- On celery sticks
- Cucumber boats
How long is it good in the refrigerator?
You can keep egg salad in the refrigerator for one week. That makes this a great meal prep recipe. You can make it in advance and make sandwiches or salads for a week with it. Just add it to something different each day and you have a weeks worth of high protein lunches.
You serve egg salad cold so you don’t even have to have access to a microwave to use this recipe for a quick and easy lunch.
Other lunch recipes
Don’t get stuck taking a boring sandwich to work every day. Besides this egg salad, also try my recipes for best chicken salad and ham salad.
Best Egg Salad
- 6 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Chop eggs and add to medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix until well blended. Take care not to mash up egg whites too much.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This sounds amazing! Thank you for the tip of peeling eggs. I always have the hardest time with that. Pinning this so I can make it soon!!
Ellen | ZyraKuma
I love egg salads! Can’t wait to make this at home.
this looks super yummy thanks for sharing
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com