When you’re done making this bread, you’ll have a gorgeous loaf that looks like it came from a fancy bakery.
Looking for a basic Sandwich Bread recipe? If so, see my recipe for Homemade Bread.
What is Dutch oven bread?
- It creates steam inside the pot, which is what gives the bread a nice, crispy crust while keeping the inside of the loaf fluffy and moist.
- The slow rise during cooking gives the bread its delicious flavor.
- Great for new bakers who are intimidated by homemade bread recipes. Just drop the bread dough in the pot when it’s ready and bake.
How to make Dutch oven bread
- Flour – all-purpose is all you need for this basic bread recipe
- Salt – helps with the structure of the loaf
- Yeast – use active dry yeast instead of instant because you want a long and slow rise for more flavor
- Water – make sure it’s at room temperature and not hot
Dutch Oven Bread
- 3 cup Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 cup Water room temperature
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt and yeast.
- Mix until blended.
- Add water to bowl and mix it until incorporated (use spatula or wooden spoon).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit on counter for 12-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place dutch oven in oven and allow to preheat as well.
- Carefully remove pot from oven using oven mitts.
- Using mitts, remove lid.
- Sprinkle a little flour into bottom of dutch oven.
- Remove wrap from top of dough.
- Dust/sprinkle dough with flour and flour your hands.
- Lift dough, roughly forming into ball and drop in center of dutch oven.
- Using mitts, place lid back on dutch oven and return to oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove bread from the pot.
- Let cool completely before slicing.