3 Ingredient Honey Mustard
on Dec 04, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
3 Ingredient Honey Mustard is simple and quick to make. This easy dipping sauce recipe is perfect for chicken nuggets, fries, and even salads! Just add a little splash of vinegar for an easy Honey Mustard Dressing.
Sauces and dips are an easy and versatile way to add tons of flavor to boring or plain recipes. Plain ole grilled chicken or chicken tenders are much better with something like a side of our 3 Ingredient BBQ Sauce, after all! What’s even better than a tasty sauce recipe or a yummy dip is one that you can use on almost anything. That’s why we’ve been loving this 3 Ingredient Honey Mustard we made up recently!
This stuff has been great on just about everything we’ve topped or served with it. We’ve been throwing into little sauce bowls to go with all sorts of chicken nuggets, tenders, and all other sorts of chicken recipes. We’re even mixing it up with a little bit of vinegar to make a tasty Honey Mustard Dressing or vinaigrette for salads. With a recipe this simple and easy to make, it’s one you’ve gotta try!
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this 3 Ingredient Honey Mustard recipe
- Paring this Homemade Honey Mustard recipe down to 3 ingredients makes it so easy to make while keeping all the flavor. We’ve cut away all the excess stuff to give you a dead simple and easy sauce recipe or a quick dip.
- Even though we took a lot of the extra stuff out, there’s still plenty of room to add stuff back in! Add some cayenne or hot sauce for a Spicy Honey Mustard Dip or mix in some vinegar for a quick salad dressing.
- Keeping the ingredients simple helps this sauce hold up really well in the fridge. Expect to get a good 1-2 weeks out of this stuff- if you haven’t used it all up by then!
Honey Mustard Ingredients
3 Ingredient Honey Mustard- shockingly- only needs 3 ingredients. You can add in a few other spices or seasonings but we’ll cover that down in the variations. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Mustard – For the best honey mustard dipping sauce, you want to use a dijon mustard. You don’t have to shell out tons of extra cash for fancy brands like Grey Poupon but this Maille Dijon tasted great! Store-brand dijon mustard will work fine.
- Honey – The best tasting honey is going to be 100% pure honey. Make sure you’re checking the ingredients list on your honey bottle: a lot of honey you’ll find is mixed with syrups and doesn’t taste as good as real honey.
- Mayonnaise – In order to add some extra creaminess to our Honey Mustard Sauce, you’re going to mix up with some mayo. This might be a deal-breaker for some folks but, trust us, you hardly taste it.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Honey Mustard Sauce
Short ingredients list, equal parts, and so easy to make- what’s not to love about this Easy Honey Mustard recipe? Here’s what you’ll do:
- Add equal parts mustard, honey, and mayonnaise to a large mixing bowl.
- Use a spoon or whisk to mix everything together well. Remember to mix until no clumps of mayo remain and the sauce is smooth.
- Optionally add any seasonings or extra ingredients after fully mixing the honey mustard together.
Even though this is a 3 ingredient recipe, there’s plenty of room to sub out some of our Honey Mustard ingredients. In case you need to make some substitutions, here’s a few you can try out:
- Mustard – Of course, you can make honey mustard without dijon mustard if you can’t find any. Other fancy mustards like brown mustard or spicy brown mustard are going to be your best bets. If you can’t find those, yellow mustard will work too- just remember that using any other mustard besides dijon will affect the flavor.
- Honey – Honey is really great because it has the perfect amount of sweetness and thickness for our sauce. But you can make honey mustard without honey- you’ll just use other liquid sweeteners. The best option is probably going to be maple syrup.
- Mayonnaise – Again, you’ll hardly taste mayo in your finished sauce. But, if you’re insistent, there’s a couple other options for making honey mustard without mayo. Try using something like sour cream, yogurt, or Greek yogurt instead- maybe add a little extra sweetener to balance out the sour tastes.
Again, with how simple our Honey Mustard Recipe is, there’s still plenty of room to add other ingredients in! Try some of these ideas out next time:
- Spicy Honey Mustard – There’s a lot of way to add some heat to your next batch of honey mustard. Many folks swear by adding a good pinch of cayenne pepper to their mustard just for flavor- not even for spice! You can also use a spicier dijon or a spicy brown mustard instead. Consider adding a couple dashes of hot sauce too.
- Honey Mustard Dressing – Another tasty addition you can add is a little splash of vinegar to turn your sauce or dip into a dressing. Use something like a white balsamic vinegar, champagne vinegar, or even a bit of lemon juice to thin the mustard sauce out and add a little extra tang. Goes great over salads, fish, or chicken dishes!
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette – Consider dropping the mayo altogether and replace it with some vinegar to make a quick vinaigrette. This is especially great over salads! Try using some of those white vinegars we mentioned above or use something like apple cider vinegar instead.
Storage / Freezing
Storage: Transfer your finished honey mustard to an airtight container or bottle. Keep in the fridge for 1 week- maybe 2. Give it a good smell and check for any mold before adding it to any food just to be safe.
Freezing: We really wouldn’t recommend freezing honey mustard. Mustard’s taste and texture tend to change dramatically after it’s been frozen. Same case with the mayo- it really doesn’t freeze and thaw well. It’ll last long enough in the fridge and it’s easy enough to make, so just skip the freezer on this one.
Add additional spices if you like more flavor in this 3-ingredient honey mustard dipping sauce.
Other Sauce Recipes
Looking for other homemade sauce recipes? Try these:
More Sauce Recipes
Here are some more of our favorite homemade sauces:
3 Ingredient Honey Mustard
- 3 tbsp Mustard
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.