Make these Simple Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes for dinner tonight. Or, consider them for a Thanksgiving side dish. The sweet streusel topping and marshmallow make these baked potatoes amazing.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes are great all year long, but for Thanksgiving dinner, they are a must. I usually make The Best Sweet Potato Casserole or our Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole for the holidays. This year, we plan to make these Simple Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes for our Christmas dinner.
Have you made Twice Baked Potatoes before? We make this recipe the same way. The sweet potatoes get baked, the insides are scooped out, a few ingredients added, and then top them with traditional casserole toppings. Of course, they get baked a second time.
You can make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes ahead of time, which makes dinner preparation a little easier. I usually prepare them a day or two ahead and keep them covered in the refrigerator. Then, let them reach room temperature before doing the final baking.
Sweet potatoes with brown sugar and sweet topping are always my favorite. I am sure a savory version with bacon would be amazing. But, I prefer the traditional versions.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are great for a weeknight dinner side dish too! I made them last week to serve with a Slow Cooker Turkey Breast. My family thinks they are great.
Ingredients to Make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Mini Marshmallows
How to Make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. After washing the potatoes, stab them with a fork a few times then bake for 60-70 minutes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Then, remove them from the oven. Cool enough to handle and cut potato lengthwise to remove the tops. Cut around the potato to allow access to the inside.
Scoop out the inside potato flesh and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Then, add the butter, vanilla, milk, and brown sugar.
After, beat with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined.
Then add the mixture back into the insides of the sweet potato skins.
Add two tablespoons of butter to a small mixing bowl. Then, microwave for about 45 seconds to melt. Then add quick-cooking oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Mix until combined.
Add the mini marshmallows to the top of each potato.
Add the topping.
And bake again for about 15 minutes or until marshmallows melt and topping is golden brown.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 6 tbsp Butter divided
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar. divided
- 1/8 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/8 cup Quick Oats
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Pierce each sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Cook for 60-70 minutes until tender.
- Take a slice off the top of each potato toget access to inside.
- Scoop out the insides leaving about 1/4" around the outside of the sweet potato. Place scooped out potato in medium bowl.
- To the bowl with scooped potato, add 1/2 cup brown sugar, vanilla, milk and 4 tablespoons butter.
- Beat with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Put the whipped potatoes back into the potato shells.
- Place mini marshmallows on top or each.
- In a small bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter in microwave.
- Add flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, quick oats, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix together with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture over marshmallows.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until top is browned.