Berry Trifle is a rich and creamy dessert recipe packed with cake and fruit. This is the perfect summer dessert- great for parties too! With just a few ingredients you can put together a no bake easy trifle recipe that’ll serve plenty of people and keep well in the fridge.
There’s definitely plenty of directions you can take a Fruit Trifle. You could make a Blueberry Trifle or a Strawberry Trifle- but why not make both of them in one delicious Mixed Berry Trifle Recipe? All these berries taste amazing together- especially a little added raspberry- and they’ll taste even better with a sweet cream cheese filling!
Why you’ll love this Mixed Berry Trifle recipe
- It’s an incredibly easy no bake dessert recipe that’s perfect for serving at your next BBQ/ Potluck. It makes for a great Red, White and Blue dessert for 4th of July, Memorial and Labor Day!
- None of these ingredients should be hard to get your hands on. A quick run to the grocery and a look through the pantry and fridge should get you everything you need.
- For the amount of ingredients you put in, there’s a-lot of dessert here. Enough here to feed a party or for you to enjoy as a dessert for a few days!
Berry Trifle Ingredients
A lot of these trifle ingredients are very simple and shouldn’t be too hard to find! Here’s what you’ll need to make your own Berry Trifle from scratch:
- Angel Food Cake – We went with a premade angel food cake but if you know how to make angel food cake from scratch, go right ahead! Premade or not, make sure you cut your cake down into bite-sized pieces before starting this recipe.
- Cream Cheese – Allow to soften before using.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream – Try to keep this as cool as possible before use.
- Strawberries – Hulled and sliced.
- Raspberries – These are optional, but they why not make this recipe a Triple Berry Trifle?
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Fruit Trifle
It doesn’t take too much effort to make this Easy Berry Trifle. There’s nothing really hard outside of mixing up that sweet cream cheese filling- and even that’s kind of easy! To make this tasty Fresh Fruit Trifle, here’s what you’ll do:
- Add cream cheese and vanilla extract to a large bowl and beat together until blended and fluffy. Once beaten together, add in powdered sugar and beat to combine once again.
- In separate bowl, beat heavy cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Add cream cheese mixture to heavy cream and fold together to combine.
- Assemble trifle in large bowl. Put cubed cake pieces on bottom, then top with blueberries, cream cheese mixture, strawberries, cake pieces again, cream cheese mixture again, and then top with remaining berries. Let finished Berry Trifle sit in fridge before serving.
Can’t find one of the ingredients for our Berry Trifle? Here are a couple of substitutions you can give a try!
- Angel Food Cake – We went with angel food cake in our trifle because that’s what we prefer. Another popular option is to make a trifle with ladyfingers. Outside of that, in a pinch you can try subbing in sponge cake, pound cake or even try making a Nilla wafer trifle! Try making our Classic Pound Cake if you would like to make this trifle from scratch.
- Heavy Cream – Since we’re just whipping the heavy cream into whipped cream, you can try subbing in Cool Whip or another frozen whipped topping. Just remember to let thaw before use.
Want to try some different flavors in your Berry Fruit Trifle? Here’s a few of ways to mix things up.
- Trifle with Pudding – A lot of folks actually prefer to make their trifle with pudding- either vanilla pudding or banana pudding. Sub in a homemade or instant pudding for our cream cheese mixture and tell us how it works out!
- Chocolate Trifle – Sub in some sort of chocolate cake for the angel food cake to take your trifle into a chocolate-y direction. Calling back to that previous variation, maybe even use a chocolate pudding as well!
- Different Fruits for Trifle – We went with this classic triple berry blend but you could use just about any fruits when you make Fruit Trifle. Add in other berries like blackberries or maybe make a more tropical trifle with some pineapple and mandarin oranges.
Storage / Freezing
Storage: Once you’ve finished making your Berry Trifle, remember to store it in the fridge. Try to enjoy within 3 days- it’ll be safe to eat for another 1-2 days the texture might not be as good because of all the moisture.
Freezing: You can try freezing trifle but it’s not ideal- what with all the cream and dairy. If you do decide to freeze trifle, try to use it within 1-2 months. Let thaw in the freezer before enjoying.
Use fresh fruit for the most flavorful trifle.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
A berry trifle is a layered dessert usually made with sponge cake, angel food cake or ladyfingers, fresh berries, and a creamy filling. It is served chilled and is typically assembled in a glass bowl or individual glass dishes.
Yes, you can definitely use as many different berries as you choose in a berry trifle. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are the most common.
Yes, you can use frozen berries in a berry trifle. Just be sure to thaw the berries first and then drain any excess liquid to prevent the trifle from becoming too watery.
Yes, berry trifles can be made in advance. They will taste better when allowed to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. After assembling, cover the trifle with plastic wrap or a lid to keep it from drying out.
Other Red, White and Blue Recipes
Looking for other patriotic recipes? Try these:
Other No Bake Recipes
Here are some other no bake recipes I have shared. I hope you try them too:
- 1 Angel Food Cake premade
- 1 3/4 cup Heavy Cream chilled
- 12 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 16 oz Strawberries hulled and sliced
- 18 oz Blueberries
- 6 oz Raspberries optional
- Slice angel food cake into bite-sized cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and vanilla extract. Beat with hand mixer until blended and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until blended.
- In a another large bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream and fold until combined.
- Get a large (13 cup) smooth sided bowl to hold the trifle.
- Layer the bottom with about half of the cake pieces.
- Top with 1/3 of the blueberries, being careful to make sure they are visible along the sides of the bowl.
- Top with about half of the cream cheese mixture and smooth into an even layer.
- Top with 1/2 of the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Top with the second 1/3 of the blueberries.
- Top with remaining cream cheese mixture and then smooth the layer.
- Top with remaining strawberries.
- Add remaining blueberries and raspberries.