These Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs are so moist and full of great sweet and spicy flavors. A quick and easy recipe will come together in just a few minutes time. So this makes for a great weeknight meal to serve up when you are pressed for time. I purchased all of my ingredients for this recipe from Aldi but the ingredients can be purchased at any grocery store.
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Our family normally makes chicken breasts or tenders so this recipe was a bit of a change for us. I was a bit nervous about the change but as it turned out it was super to change up from the same old, same old! Since we have rarely eat thighs, we were pleasantly surprised how juicy and flavorful the chicken cooked.
I mentioned that all of the ingredients for this meal were purchased from Aldi. Over the next couple of months, I am planning to share a bunch of inexpensive Aldi meals with all of you. EVERYTHING for the meal will be bought from Aldi. Obviously you can purchase your items elsewhere but I plan to challenge myself with creating unique and tasty Aldi Meals to help with our grocery budget. You can check out my previous Aldi Meal: One Pot Pepperoni Pizza Pasta if you are looking for other Aldi Meals.
The total price of this Aldi Garlic Chicken Thighs Meal was $6.64. Obviously I did not include pricing for basic staples that should be found in your pantry.
2 lb Chicken Thighs= $4.47
Bunch Green Onions ($0.99 each)= $0.25
1 Broccoli Frozen Florets Vegetables= $1.19 each
White Rice ($1.49 per 3 lb Bag) = $0.40
Egg ($1.79 dozen) = $0.15 each
Butter ($1.89 per pound) = $0.18 each
I am always nervous cooking a new cut of meat. This chicken had me a bit nervous. I was worried the flavors or how I cooked it would not work well. After enjoying this dinner, I would not have cooked it any other way. The combination of the sweet and spicy was great.
The ingredients for this Aldi Meal were very inexpensive. I actually found out chicken thighs on a markdown but will include the full price when calculating the entire price of this meal. We added the chicken to a bed of white rice and added in some frozen broccoli.
The boys came back for second and thirds. Mike actually made a second batch since they liked this recipe so much.
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 cup Milk
3 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp minced Garlic
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
12 oz Frozen Broccoli
2 cup uncooked White Rice
4 cup Water
Trim any excess fat off of chicken.
Add flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and chili powder to a zippered storage bag and shake to mix.
Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl to make an egg wash.
Heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
Preheat oven to 350.
Shake each piece of chicken in flour to coat. Shake off excess.
Dip each piece of coated chicken in egg wash and then re-shake in flour mix.
Brown chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes.
Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
Add butter, brown sugar, honey, garlic and red pepper flakes to skillet and heat until melted and bubbling
Add chicken back to skillet. Cover and place in oven for 10 minutes.
Add 4 cups water to a pan and bring to a boil.
Add rice to water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 inutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
Turn chicken, cover and return to oven for 15 minutes.
Microwave broccoli according to bag directions.
Overall I was very pleased with our first chicken thighs recipe. We will be adding this meal to our weekly meal plans quite often since everyone really enjoyed it.
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs (Aldi Meal)
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 lb Boneless Skinless hicken Thighs
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper FLakes
- 12 oz Frozen Broccoli
- 2 cup uncooked White Rice
- 4 cup Water
- Trim any excess fat off of chicken.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and chili powder to a zippered storage bag and shake to mix.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl to make an egg wash.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Shake each piece of chicken in flour to coat. Shake off excess.
- Dip each piece of coated chicken in egg wash and then re-shake in flour mix.
- Brown chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter, brown sugar, honey, garlic and red pepper flakes to skillet and heat until melted and bubbling
- Add chicken back to skillet. Cover and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water to a pan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice to water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 inutes. Turn off heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken, cover and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Microwave broccoli according to bag directions.
Looking for other Aldi Meal Ideas? If so be sure to check out these recipes: