3 bean salad combines beans and veggies with a tangy dressing. Make this recipe today as a side dish for dinner or to share at a potluck.
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This summer favorite combines pantry staples in just a few easy steps.
The only tools you’ll need to prep your ingredients are a sharp knife, a can opener, and a whisk.
Once those are ready, combine everything in a large bowl and you’re done!
Even better, it’s inexpensive to make and can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger amount.
And since all of the ingredients are readily available, this three bean salad recipe can be enjoyed year-round.
- Hamburgers, brats, or hot dogs
- Ground Pork Stuffed Tomatoes
- Instant Pot Ribs
- Grilled steak
- Italian Dressing Chicken
- Broiled or pan-fried fish
How to make 3 bean salad
- Fresh green beans or thawed from frozen
- Kidney beans, drained
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- Red onion
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Celery seed
- Wash the green beans and trim the ends, then cut into pieces about 1-2 inches in length.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the green beans and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender-crisp but still firm.
- Drain the beans and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
Combine the canned beans, cooked green beans, and chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
Pour the dressing over the top and stir everything together until well combined.
You can serve this immediately, but it’s best when it’s had time to sit for a few hours so all the flavors can combine.
Either way, keep it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- Less salt – Reduce the sodium and starch by rinsing the canned beans in cool water after draining.
- Make ahead – You can mix everything together and refrigerate up to a day before serving.
- Use fresh beans – Cook your own dried beans to use in place of the canned if you prefer.
- Oil – substitute another neutral oil like canola or avocado oil
- Vinegar – use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar for a milder flavor
- Dressing flavor – replace the celery seed with fresh parsley or add some lime juice or dijon mustard
- Beans – add more variety with black beans, wax beans, cannellini beans, or lima beans
- Veggies – mix in chopped bell pepper, artichoke hearts, or jalapeno for more color and flavor
- Make it a meal – chicken, ham, or cooked pasta will easily take this from a side to a main course
Three Bean Salad
- 2 cup blanched Green Beans or frozen Green Beans thawed
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
- 15 oz can Kidney Beans drained
- 15 oz can Garbanzo Beans drained
- 1 stalk Celery sliced
- 1/4 large Red Onion diced
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, sugar and celery seed until blended. Set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and toss to coat.