This rice pudding recipe makes a simple but delicious dessert. You use cooked rice, so it’s quick and easy, too! Make it for dessert tonight – it only takes 30 minutes!
- Cooked rice – cuts down overall cook time and makes an extra creamy rice pudding
- Milk – full-fat milk works best, but 2% would be ok
- Eggs – beat these well in a separate bowl first
- Sugar – all you need is regular white granulated sugar
- Butter – use unsalted
- Cornstarch – this thickens the pudding for the right consistency
- Vanilla extract – adds extra sweetness and flavor
- Cinnamon – to sprinkle on top
- Rice – Traditionally any medium or long-grain white rice is used, but brown rice can be substituted if needed.
- Milk – Plant-based milk can be used to make this rice pudding recipe dairy-free. Choose one with a thicker texture like oat, cashew, or almond milk. Canned coconut milk would also work, but will change the flavor a bit.
- Sugar – You can replace the sugar with an equal amount of brown sugar or maple syrup.
How to make rice pudding with cooked rice
Mix-Ins and toppings
- Raisins – or other dried fruit like cranberries, cherries, or apricots
- Shredded coconut – adds a tropical flavor and is perfect if you’re using coconut milk
- Chopped nuts – pecans, walnuts, or macadamia nuts add crunch
- Fresh fruit – try mango, peaches, or berries
- Caramelized apples – perfect for an extra sweet dessert
- Cocoa powder
- Pumpkin pie spice
Rice pudding recipe notes
Looking for other easy dessert recipes?
- Easy Banana Pudding – another classic pudding recipe, made with fresh bananas
- Strawberry Ice Box Cake – needs a few simple ingredients and only 5 minutes of prep!
- The Best Rice Krispie Treats – an easy, no-bake treat with a secret ingredient
- Chocolate Wacky Cake – no eggs or milk, and you only need one bowl to make it
Rice Pudding Recipe with Cooked Rice
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- In a medium pan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Mix in milk and eggs until blended.
- Stir in rice and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 20 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Transfer to serving dish(es).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.