This Easy Lemon Pie with three luscious layers is so incredibly simple to make. Since the recipe uses a no bake graham cracker crust and just a couple prepackaged ingredients, it can be ready in no time. You will find it a perfect Easter, potluck, or bbq dessert.
Easy Lemon Pie
I love to serve refreshing easy desserts during the spring and summer months. If the recipes are no bake, I like them even better. Keeping my time in the kitchen to a minimum is important. Making this lemon pie is one of the easiest desserts to prepare, and that is why it is one of my favorites. Lemon Meringue Pie is great but baking from scratch is not always an option when I am busy. When I am needing a quick dessert, this recipe is the clear winner.
The lemon pie starts with a no bake graham cracker crust. It can be made in no time at all. Three quick ingredients are needed and then it is tossed in the freezer to set. If you would like to keep the recipe even simpler, you could also purchase a pre-made store bought crust.
As I mentioned above, this pie has three delicious layers. The first layer of our lemon pie filling is made with boxed Jello instant pudding and lemon juice. The pudding is made a bit thicker than the traditional package directions. I just use a bit less milk for the filling to have it set a bit thicker. Additionally, we add in fresh lemon juice. Fresh is best but if you have a bottle of lemon juice on hand, it will work with no real impact on the overall flavor.
The second layer of my Easy Lemon Pie is just a box of pudding with less milk combined with whipped topping. I simply fold both ingredients together to create a lighter layer of light lemon deliciousness. You will find this layer is ridiculously easy!
The final layer is just the remaining whipped topping. Yes, just plain whipped topping. You can add on some additional garnish if you would like, though not needed. I like to add on some zest from a lemon and small lemon slices. These additions make the lemon pie a real show stopper.
Isn’t it great when we can make delicious, quick, and easy delicious desserts with such little effort? I have made this lemon pie many times for summer bbqs and it is always a hit. I can make it a day or two ahead of time or I can make it a couple of hours before heading to a potluck. The bright distinctive layers will attract all your guests.
Tips for the Best Lemon Pie:
- Go ahead and purchase a premade crust if want to keep prep and dirty dishes to a minimum. If you buy your crust, it will include a disposable pan. The is allows you to be able to toss the pie pan when finished.
- Notice the recipe calls for instant pudding. Be very careful to not purchase the cooking required version. I have made that mistake a couple of times and the cooking version does not work for this pie.
- Follow my directions for the amount of milk needed for the lemon pudding. If you follow the package instructions, your pie will end up very loose.
- Use whipped topping like Cool-Whip brand for best results. You will not achieve the same consistency with regular homemade whipped topping.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator uncovered for best leftover results. If you should cover it, it may not last quite as long. The layers will break down much quicker.
- Freeze your pie for about one hour before heading to a BBQ. This has always been one of my favorite tricks. The pie will hold it’s shaping during transport when giving it a quick freeze.
Ingredients to make this Easy Lemon Pie
20 Graham Crackers squares
5 tbsp melted Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
3 pkg Lemon Instant Pudding (3.4 oz size)- the small boxes
2 cup Milk, divided
1 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
8 oz Frozen Whipped Topping, thawed
How to make Lemon Pie
Butter a 9″ pie pan.
Process graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in food processor until combined.
Press mixture into bottom and sides of prepared pan.
Refrigerate 15-30 minutes.
Whisk together 2 boxes of pudding mix and 1 1/2 cups of milk and the lemon juice until it begins to thicken
Spread into pie crust.
Whisk together the remaining box of pudding mix and the remaining 1/2 cup of milk until blended and starting to thicken.
Fold in half of the whipped topping until blended.
Spread over first layer.
Top with remaining whipped topping.
Refrigerate 2 hours until firm.
If you like easy pie recipes, be sure to see these that I have shared:
- Strawberry Pie (like Shoney’s) – made with fresh strawberries.
- Banana Cream Pie – so simple to make!
- Easy Hershey’s Chocolate Pie – another easy pie.
Easy Lemon Pie
- 20 Graham Crackers squares
- 5 tbsp melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3 pkg Lemon Instant Pudding - 3.4 oz size
- 2 cup Milk divided
- 1 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 8 oz Frozen Whipped Topping thawed
- Butter a 9" pie pan.
- Process graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in food processor until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom and sides of prepared pan.
- Refrigerate 15-30 minutes.
- Whisk together 2 boxes of pudding mix and 1 1/2 cups of milk and the juice until it begins to thicken
- Spread into pie crust.
- Whisk together the remaining box of pudding mix and the remaining 1/2 cup of milk until blended and starting to thicken.
- Fold in half of the whipped topping until blended.
- Spread over first layer.
- Top with remaining whipped topping.
- Refrigerate 2 hours until firm.