No need to turn on the oven with this Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe. This roast loaded with potatoes, carrots, and onions is an easy Crock-pot idea that makes for a filling meal. Juicy meat with incredible flavors. Prep it, toss in the slow cooker, and return later in the day to a great family meal.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
During the summer months I hate heating up the house with a roast that needs to bake all day long. Making quick and easy meals or Crock-Pot Meals for dinner is frequent.
While doing my grocery shopping this week, I spotted a nice roast on a managers special. It was a pretty good deal so I decided to purchase. We have been eating quite a few cold sandwiches like our CopyCat Panera Tuna Sandwiches for dinner lately so a big piece of beef sounded great.
Since beef has been so pricey lately, I have also made our Slow Cooker Meat Loaf a few times since the warm weather arrived. Ground Beef has been expensive but big steaks and roasts have been crazy pricey.
Crock-Pot meals are perfect for making in the morning to have ready before dinner time. I just prep and toss it in. Then I can head off for the day and not have to worry.
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast dinner was perfect. I let it cook all afternoon and it’s ready when we get back from our daily outings.
I have cooked this recipe a few times and each time the beef turns out so tender and flavorful. The gravy addition adds some extra flavor and my family loves it. The potatoes and carrots are great sides and I like that this dish serves my large family.
This Crock-pot Pot Roast requires a few ingredients and a little bit of prep. You can save time with prep by purchasing pre-cut veggies. I do that occasionally to save on time. Beef, veggies, stock, and a few spices from your pantry is all that is needed.
2-3 lb Beef Roast
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Tarragon
2 tsp minced Garlic
1 lb Carrots
2 lb Potatoes
1 large Onion
32 oz Beef Stock
3 tbsp Cornstarch
Peel and cut carrots into 1-3″ pieces.
Peel and cut onions into 1-3″ pieces.
Wash and cut potatoes into 1-3″ pieces.
Mix together salt, pepper, thyme and tarragon.
Rub roast with olive oil and cover with about 2/3 of spice mix.
Heat skillet over medium high heat and brown on all sides.
Transfer roast to slow cooker.
Lightly coat vegetables in olive oil and season with remaining spice mix.
Transfer vegetables to slow cooker.
Add some stock to skillet and stir to deglaze.
Pour liquid into slow cooker.
Add remaining stock to slow cooker.
Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 10 hours until vegetables are tender and meat pulls apart easily.
Transfer meat and vegetables to serving dish.
Pour liquid in sauce pan and heat.
Mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water and stir until well blended.
Add cornstarch mix to sauce and heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
Pour sauce over meat and vegetables.
This slow cooker recipe will be great for summer months when it is too hot to be turning on the oven. In the fall, this meal will make for the perfect comfort food to keep you warm on a cool day.
Do you have a favorite slow cooker family meal? This one has been on our meal list for awhile now and we love it!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 2-3 lb Beef Roast
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 2 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 lb Carrots
- 2 lb Potatoes
- 1 large Onion
- 32 oz Beef Stock
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- Peel and cut carrots into 1-3" pieces.
- Peel and cut onions into 1-3" pieces.
- Wash and cut potatoes into 1-3" pieces.
- Mix together salt, pepper, thyme and tarragon.
- Rub roast with olive oil and cover with about 2/3 of spice mix.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and brown on all sides.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Lightly coat vegetables in olive oil and season with remaining spice mix.
- Transfer vegetables to slow cooker.
- Add some stock to skillet and stir to deglaze.
- Pour liquid into slow cooker.
- Add remaining stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 10 hours until vegetables are tender and meat pulls apart easily.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to serving dish.
- Pour liquid in sauce pan. and heat.
- Mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water and stir until well blended.
- Add cornstarch mix to sauce and heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
- Pour sauce over meat and vegetables.
Looking for other Crock-Pot meal ideas? If so be sure to see these others that I have shared…