You will find this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup to be similar to Panera Bread. Tons of chicken, lots of vegetables, and rice all in a flavorful cream broth. It’s an easy and filling weeknight chicken dinner idea!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Soup recipes are so comforting during the fall and cold winter months. My family loves Panera soups so, and I like to make homemade versions at home. If you are also a fan, you will like my CopyCat Panera Autumn Squash Soup or my CopyCat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup. Both are delicious.
When I need a hearty soup to serve for dinner, I usually make this CopyCat Panera Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. We find it filling enough to be the main dish. You can serve it with crusty bread for an easy meal.
My recipe for Chicken Wild Rice Soup is simple. I prefer to use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery. I purchase an herb or savory version. If I have time, I will use my Baked Chicken Breast recipe. But, I like to keep the prep and cooking time to a minimum.
Also, it’s simple to purchase Uncle Ben’s flavored Wild Rice with the seasoning pack included. There is then no need to shuffle through the spice drawer looking for a perfect blend.
We use fresh carrots, celery, and onion for our vegetables. If you would like to save some prep time, purchase pre-diced versions from your grocery. Have picky eaters? If so, you could puree or omit the onion. But, I find that it adds the additional flavor needed for a delicious soup.
We enjoy soups on the thicker. If you prefer yours a bit thinner, add some additional broth. I have never tried to reheat this Easy Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup because we never have any leftovers. If you attempt, please let us know if the rice becomes mush.
Ingredients to Make Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Wild Rice (Wild Rice Blend)
- Half and Half
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
First, add diced chicken and broth to a large pot. Then, cook over high heat until boiling. Next, add the rice (not the seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
Next, in a small to a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter. After melted, add the onions, carrots, and celery.
After cooking on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes add the seasoning packet. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the carrots are softened.
In a small dish combine the flour and pepper. Then, whisk.
Gradually add the flour mixture, a little at a time stirring constantly.
Cook for about 5 more minutes.
Next, gradually add half and half cream. Continue to cook for about 5 more minutes.
Stir occasionally to keep the mixture from scorching.
Finally, add the cream and vegetable mixture to chicken and broth mixture. Cook for about 15 more minutes. If you like even more flavor, add about 1/2 teaspoon of sage and season with salt and additional pepper.
Recipe adapted from Food.com!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 6 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken meat removed from bone and diced (or 3 Chicken Breast halves, cooked and diced)
- 1 Fast Cook Long Grain and Wild Rice blend (6.2 ox package)
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3 Carrot sliced
- 2 stalk Celery sliced
- 1 small Onion diced
- 3 cup Half and Half
- Combine broth and diced chicken in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add rice, but not seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Add contents of seasoning packet and continue cooking for 5 minutes until carrots are softened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over vegetables while stirring constantly until incorporated.
- Cook another 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in half and half until incorporated.
- Cook about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add vegetable mixture to chicken and rice mixture.
- Cook over medium heat 15-20 minutes until heated through and rice is done.