10 Ways to Use Aluminum Foil
There are MANY different ways to use Aluminum Foil besides cooking. Aluminum foil is one of those very versatile items to have on hand. I like to keep a nice stock (especially when I find a good sale to combine with a coupon) with all of my baking and storage supplies. I recall making a cool book cover when I was in high school with heavy duty aluminum foil (yes… I thought I was totally cool, ha ha). Here are 10 Ways to Use Aluminum Foil around your house. Be sure to let me know the other ways that you use Aluminum Foil.
1. Soften Brown Sugar: If you’ve ever bought a box of brown sugar only to have it turn into a brick, you don’t have to throw it out. Wrap your brown sugar brick in aluminum foil and pop it into the oven for 5 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Protect Pie Crust: Fold aluminum foil over the crust of a pie to prevent it burning before the rest of the pie cooks.
3. DIY Shaped Pans: All you need for custom shaped cakes is some aluminum foil and a regular cake pan. Just use aluminum foil inside of your regular cake pan to make the outline of your desired cake shape.
4. Scrubber: For dishes with tough stuck on messes, sometimes sponges just don’t get the job done. Crumble up a little bit of aluminum foil into a ball and scrub the stuck on food, it’ll come right off.
5. Better Way to Reheat Pizza: For much better reheated pizza, simply pop it into the oven on a piece of aluminum foil with an edge folded over the crust. Bake at 35o degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 minutes and enjoy.
6. Sharpen Scissors: To take care of a pair of dull scissors just use them to cut through 6 to 8 layers of aluminum foil. It wont make them super sharp but it takes care of dullness.
7. Longer Lasting Soap: The problem with bar soap is that it seems to dissolve so quickly. To prevent this, put a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of your soap. Not only does this keep your soap lasting longer but it also makes it easier to keep a hold of it.
8. Scare Birds: If you have a fruit tree that seems to be constantly devoured by birds and pests, dangle pieces of aluminum foil from it’s branches. Light-sensitive pests and birds will stay away.
9. Pest-Free Garden: To keep bugs and pests out of your garden, make aluminum foil mulch. Weed your garden, lay normal weedblock over it, then place aluminum foil (shiny side down) over the weedblock. This creates a barrier that keeps aphids and other pests out.
10. Easy Sun Box: If your plants aren’t getting enough light, put some aluminum foil in a shoe box corner to make a sun box. Use it to direct the sun at your plants.