This slightly spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe is pan fried creating a crispy and full of flavor piece of chicken. It’s definitely finger licking goodness.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Easy recipes are always my favorite. Having different chicken recipes to serve my crew is always a challenge. My entire group loves our Easy Chicken Pot Casserole most of the time, but we are also fans of good old fashioned fried chicken.
Chicken legs are always so inexpensive. So, I like to make them every couple of weeks or so. Sometimes, we make just basic BBQ Chicken Legs and other times I make this super simple slightly spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken. I will serve with mashed potatoes and Slow Cooker Baked Beans sometimes other times it’s just some basic french fries for a side.
The side is not the highlight of this meal though. It’s all about the crunchy and crispy chicken legs. The kids say it’s like enjoying KFC at home, ha ha!
Buttermilk always adds such great flavor to this chicken dish. Allowing the chicken to marinate for at least a couple hours really adds some great flavor. The spice blend for our chicken recipe is perfect if you ask me. You will find just a hint of a kick that even the kiddos will enjoy.
Grab yourself some chicken pieces, your spices, and some buttermilk to get your chicken marinating. You can use Homemade Buttermilk if you do not have store bought on hand. I get my oil hot and fry about 4 pieces at a time. I then put them in the oven at around 300 degrees while I finish making the additional pieces.
Do you have a favorite fried chicken recipe?
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 cup Flour
- 12 bone-in skin-on Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 cup Buttermilk
- Oil for frying
- In a medium bowl combine salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.
- Whisk until blended.
- Place flour in a large bowl and add half of spice mix to flour and whisk until blended.
- Place chicken in a different large bowl.
- Sprinkle remaining spice mix over chicken.
- Toss until all chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour buttermilk over the chicken, and stir until any clumps of spices are blended into buttermilk.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Fill cast iron skillet about half full of oil and heat to 340-350.
- Take each piece of chicken and shake off excess liquid. Dredge and roll in flour mixture shaking off excess. Repeat dip in liquid and dip in flour.
- Fry about about 6-7 minutes per side until crispy. Frying no more tan 3-4 pieces at a time.
- Place chicken pieces on a wire rack to let excess oil drain.